Mage: A Tale of Death
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Blender

+2
Smooth_OJ
RobertRamsay
6 posters

Go down

Using Blender Empty Using Blender

Post  RobertRamsay Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:42 am

Hi everyone, we are hoping to use blender to make some models but I'm not sure who uses it or can use it, I for one have never used blender and dont know how it compares to 3ds max. Has anyone here used blender and do you think it would be useful in making content for the game that isn't restricted by a licence?
RobertRamsay
RobertRamsay

Back to top Go down

Using Blender Empty Re: Using Blender

Post  Smooth_OJ Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:47 am

I thought blender was a similar program to zbrush rather than a full modelling package like 3ds. ive never even seen blender myself but i believe it to be easier to understand and get to grips with than zbrush, but zbrush can achieve better detail. Anyone else know?
Smooth_OJ
Smooth_OJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Blender is exactly like 3dsMax, just a different UI. I dont relaly understand why anyone would use a software trhat costs 3k$ instead of an equally good completely free software. It just sounds silly to me.

Admin
Admin

https://mage.swedishforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Nexus Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:16 pm

3ds max has more features and is a more capable software than blender Smile

dont get me wrong though blender is great for the hobbyist but not the professional.

Nexus

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Nexus wrote:3ds max has more features and is a more capable software than blender Smile

dont get me wrong though blender is great for the hobbyist but not the professional.

Name one?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TECH Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

This is a short film made in blender. I have no idea about it but if this is any indication it gets my vote.

TECH

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathEnder7 Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Honestly I've had a play with Blender and didn't think much of it. The real problem for me is that I am scraping for time to fit in doing tuts and course work on 3Dmax to get me up to speed on one program, think I'll have a break down if I have to learn another modelling program with the schedule I have right now.

I gather the reason the question has been asked is because we maybe looking to put this out as more than just folio work?
DeathEnder7
DeathEnder7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:56 pm

DeathEnder7 wrote:
I gather the reason the question has been asked is because we maybe looking to put this out as more than just folio work?

When the game is done, and we really believe its a good game, it would benefit us all if we could sell it. Not for the money but for the potential exposure that the game would get if we managed to get it up on steam or something similar. If we managed that, I am sure that atlest some of us would get a job offer.

Just releasing a free game (or not releasing at all and just have it as a folio project) will not attract any attention at all...

The problem is that we cannot(or will not) release a game if we use pirated copies of 3ds max(or in your case the student version). Thats why we thought about using Blender. And instead of Zbrush you can use Sculptris, which is a free software just as blender.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathEnder7 Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm not completely clear on the legalities of using max for a free game. For sure we aren't allowed to make a game for profit with the student version but can we release a free game? In this case a free game on steam that does well would give us just a much exposure as one people have to pay for? The fact its free will probably make it more popular.

Just that everyone would have to redo every prop we've currently made on a new bit of software, probably the textures aswell? Just seems counter productive?

I'm not against learning a new package just at the moment I personnally don't have the time.
DeathEnder7
DeathEnder7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:54 pm

DeathEnder7 wrote:I'm not completely clear on the legalities of using max for a free game. For sure we aren't allowed to make a game for profit with the student version but can we release a free game? In this case a free game on steam that does well would give us just a much exposure as one people have to pay for? The fact its free will probably make it more popular.

Just that everyone would have to redo every prop we've currently made on a new bit of software, probably the textures aswell? Just seems counter productive?

I'm not against learning a new package just at the moment I personnally don't have the time.

That's the point, we cant release a free game on steam. Steam is a company and wants to earn money, which it cant do with a completely free game.I don't even know if we are allowed to release on steam with your license, even if its for free.

That's why we are bringing it up quite early, so the amount of stuff thats needed to be redone is not so great. Or ofc you could always get a "real" version of 3d max(tho i highly doubt that any o you will)

Do you guys really want to be stopped by licenses for releasing a potentially great game? I'm sure I do not.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RobertRamsay Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:41 pm

There might be a loophole in the system then, if we all posess blender, but use max. LOL.
RobertRamsay
RobertRamsay

Back to top Go down

Post  Smooth_OJ Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:02 am

well is rob not on to something there, can we import into blender?? then edit to suit maybe??

at the same time, i can see why you are looking down this root, its quite obvious we are all up for this task and want to produce the game at its best quality. now as willing as i am and i think we all should be to learn new programs and add to our credentials, it will take time, and deathender isnt the only one who will have a problem with this.

I guess the question now should be, how different is blender? how much longer will it take before we click and say oh yeah its exactly like max! ??

Honestly, itd take a while but if it is actually going to promote us more than a free game (which by the way, seem to be doing alot for the current market) then we should try and find someone who has the knowledge with both blender and max before jumping in.

Can i now ask the question - is blender a sculpting package also?
if so, then in the long run it may benefit us all in alot more ways.
Smooth_OJ
Smooth_OJ

Back to top Go down

Post  TECH Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:09 am

Closest thing to trying it would be to watch a few tuts on you tube. Theres masses of them.

TECH

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathEnder7 Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:20 am

Okay say we create a module in 3dMax and export it to blender to do UV's or something? Is there actually a way that someone can tell from the model or the file that it was originally created in a student edition of max?

As for Steam not doing free games there's an entire section of them? I'll be honest I've never been on the site before, so these could be old games, I'd imagine a site like that gets more revenue from adverts than for selling the games anyhow...

I trying not to sound awkward here, I think we have some nice ideas and the game is shaping up nicely. In my head this is a good experience in developing a game, whatever we create isn't going to be as good as something we would be working on full time. If we buzz up enough interest on a free addition of this game we could probably pitch it to get funding for a proper version of it.

Again I'm not opposed to learning another package in the future, however I still feel like I only know a quarter of what max can do and by using another package, that I don't know at all, we won't be creating the best work we can?
DeathEnder7
DeathEnder7

Back to top Go down

Post  Nexus Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:59 am

you could just do it as a stand alone free game like counter strike 1.6 was. once cs was noticed people got their names out in the industry and then began working at valve plus numerous other companies.

Nexus

Back to top Go down

Post  RobertRamsay Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:09 am

Okay guys, we are not too bothered now, as by the time we have converted files to UDK format there is not a trace of how or where the models were made, who in fact really looks into such things, and being semi-professionals anyways, we can get away with some lose bolts here and there until we are an established self-profit making business.

Blender is like cinema 4D, I have used this in the past and I figure about 1-2months of poking and prodding I would be able to learn enough to model/texture and export and there is always you tube. So at the end of the day, if we keep quiet and we just keep producing using max, sending files to me, I then convert them for the game, there is no responsibility on you guys, just be wary that if you present your work in your folio (whatever you create for mage) then people start buying mage, they will assume you are getting paid, so it would be good to say that you are not... Think of this as a placement, and if it makes any profit, we will be crediting you according as a bonus, but its really early days to say this and I think we should all just enjoy the whole process, be it a learning experience or our first business venture together.

In my 1st 2 years as a self emplyed tiler, my figures didnt have to be super accurate, as it takes time to find the right business model, organisational structure, so there is always a few years lee-way for new businesses when it comes to knowing and doing whats right.

I think if someone could make a game using Gimp and Blender they will do pretty well to reduce costs, but I think everyone prefers to have that big thing that sais I have the money to buy this power!!

We shall see, for now, 3ds max all the way until we learn some blender tricks, who knows, blender may be a decent competitor.

Check out these tutorials on blender when you have free time ir your on a lunch break...
1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGej38vLZ60
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BwptkZCWwU

RobertRamsay
RobertRamsay

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:50 am

Nexus wrote:you could just do it as a stand alone free game like counter strike 1.6 was. once cs was noticed people got their names out in the industry and then began working at valve plus numerous other companies.

yea, we just have to be the most successful indie game ever and sell over 9 millions copies... But we do as Robert says, that's basically the "indie" way.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nexus Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:05 pm

You'll actually find that the people who developed cs designed it as a mod for half life 1 and never planned on profiting from it.. Personally I'm doing these models for my folio I never expected any financial gain from it. If we do get some fair enough Smile

Nexus

Back to top Go down

Post  Smooth_OJ Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Same here, this is all for the experience and some portfolio work. we should just focus as a group and work towards our original goals. When we get to the stage when we can release a version is when we should look back over it.

i will give blender a go when possible though as id like to test it out.
Smooth_OJ
Smooth_OJ

Back to top Go down

Post  RobertRamsay Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks guys, you have kept us right with your replies, this would be a great folio project and a good testing ground for making money. If it all works out well we will be keeping a hold of you guys to make the next project(s) and those are the things we all can look forwards to.
RobertRamsay
RobertRamsay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum